If I am anxious or feeling weighed down, I’m “doing” it wrong.
…because it’s not about “doing” it’s about receiving.
These are the words I’m learning to tell my brain and my heart whenever it’s tempted to walk down the (not at all productive) worry path. It’s a takeaway from a Sunday message I heard at church a few weeks ago.
Sometimes we have to unlearn some things about Jesus because we have inaccurately been told or wrongly assumed that it meant adhering to a list of rules (yoke).
The Truth about life with Jesus:
- He doesn’t add to my load, He lightens my load.
- If I’m feeling overwhelmed walking with Jesus, then I’m not really walking with Jesus.
- Yes, we might be walking on the same path but I’ve let go of His hand and run up ahead because I think I can handle things on my own. Or, maybe He’s the One up ahead calling for me to follow Him and I’m resistant due to stubborn pride or paralyzing fear.
- Pride and fear are the two most common reasons why I will find myself carrying a heavy load. Both are a result of me trying to do life independent of Christ.
- I will feel heavy loads or a burdened heart when I live at a distance from Jesus or when I delay giving Him full and complete reign over my life or my situation.
Repeat after me: Jesus frees us from heavy loads and burdened hearts.
Choosing to rest and rejoice in that freedom today!
“Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for yourselves. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11: 28-30